Thursday, July 01, 2010

Regret


Have you ever had the strong impression to act on something, but you didn't do it and now it's something you'll regret for the rest of your life? Well, it happened to me yesterday. It's not some earth shattering incident, but I am left with an awful feeling and wish I could go back and do it over. I was out making my weekly thrift store rounds, one of which was Salvation Army. It happened to be their $1.00 clothing day, but I had my kids with me so I didn't stop to rummage through the racks. I did find a few silver dishes and then went to the line to check out. The man in front of me had his arms full of work type clothes- ties, dress shirts and pants, a belt, and a pair of shoes. I'm guessing there were 15 items because he pulled out a $15 voucher to use. The cashier started ringing him up and when he got to the pair of shoes he said "These have a red tag which means they're only 50% off. The original price is $30 so that would make them $15 and that's going to use up your voucher." The guy thought for a minute and then quietly said "I'll just take the shoes." My heart started to pound and I was feeling so bad for him. He bought the shoes and walked out the door, but one minute later he was back. He asked where the restroom was and the cashier told him he had to leave his backpack at the counter. I was checking out at this point and all of the clothes he couldn't purchase were still sitting on the counter next to me. A thought kept coming to my mind- I could tell the cashier that I wanted to pay for the man's other items (it probably would've been around $14 worth) and leave them there with his backpack and I'd be gone before he came back from the restroom. He'd never know it was me. Great plan! But did I do it? No. I chickened out. And I'm not saying we should go around buying things for random people, I just had an impression that I should in this instance and I didn't follow through with it. I felt sick while I was driving away and I wanted to turn around and go back, but I knew it was too late. I know with time I'll get over it, but I don't think I'll ever forget it. Am I being ridiculous?

5 comments:

Bev said...

Funny how that works....you'll have another chance...be sure to act on that "funny feeling" next time. We always have many chances to pay it forward......don't beat yourself up too bad!! You do many nice things for people!!

Kelli said...

You're not being ridiculous. But don't be too hard on yourself. I think it's safe to say that we've all been in your shoes at one time or another. I'm sure if/when that happens again, you won't hesitate :)

The Barr Family said...

Maren don't feel bad, You are a really nice person. You'll have another opportunity to do it!!!. Just keep your eyes open.

Heather said...

Aw... Well, it's a learning experience for next time. And next time don't think... just do. :) You'll have another chance with all the shopping you do at thrift stores. Ha ha...

Nelson6 said...

You are so funny Maren, I just love you. Heathers right you will probably see that guy again at another thrift store. The other day I was in a fast food drive thru and when I got to the window to pay the guy said the car in front of me had paid for my food. I was so shocked and happy.... Just do that, then you don't even have to leave your car!!!